Wednesday, April 18, 2012

New Optics

Since "I've drawn again", I decided that it was time for another scope. Scopes were shifted around when I had been drawn for a black powder hunt a couple of years ago and picked up a second BP rifle. Fellow does need a backup. I took the Leopold 2x7 off my wife's Ranger Youth .243 and an old Redfield Wideview 4X off of my Dad's old Savage 340 30-30. The 2x7 went on the the new magnum class BP rifle and the 4X went on the older BP rifle.
I picked up a new Leupold VX3 4.5x14 for the 300 Win Mag that has the CDS adjustment and ordered a couple of the custom dials. One is tailored to the Barnes TTSX 165 gr 3150fps (elk/large game) and the other to the Barnes 130 gr TTSX 3500fps (dear/antelope).


I will move the old VariX IIc 4x12 to the 30-06 after it gets sent in to Leupold. The old VariX II can be modified to take the CDS adjustment on the elevation only. I think that I will set the new ring up for a 150 gr round. I would say that I have some range time coming up.


The 06 had Bushnell Sportview 3x9 that works but is just not as clear. That old Bushnell should probably go on the 30-30. Even though it isn't the best of scopes, it does retain the charge and works. I really don't have much use for the 30-30 but it shoots well. It was Dad's Michigan deer hunting rifle.


Now I need to do something with the .243. My better half has informed me that she will no longer go hunting. She was using it for deer. Fibromyalgia takes its toll. I am thinking that a full size stock should go on it and set it up as a varmint rifle.  Both Winchester and Ram-Line make a synthetic that will fit. A V-Max 58 gr pushing 3900fps ought to make a fun shooter. Now for that next scope!

No comments: