Friday, May 14, 2010

Census & Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Yes, I filled out the census form and mailed it back in. A few days ago I got a phone call to "verify information". What a waste of our money. There were tons of useless invasive questions to which I answered most as they meant nothing to our privacy. Such as:
Have you or someone in your family been incarcerated between such and such a date?
Mental institute?
Anyone who is not a family member living with you?
Anyone who is a family member who you did not list?
Anyone else living with you between such as such date that isn't listed.
etc, etc etc - this went on for about 30 questions.
Some questions were actually trick ones as they were the same question from a different angle.

I held the phone out so everyone could hear as she was quite loud. We were trying not to laugh out loud. I answered most questions in between snickers that I am sure she could hear. She then wanted to know the exact address of my daughter who is away at college. I asked why they would need that as I had listed her at being at NAU and that her permanent residence was here. She didn't know why, just that she was supposed to ask. I told her that I was very hesitant to give the exact address of my daughter who is away at school as I did not know who had access to the information. She said that she had never heard it phrased quite that way and understood my concern. I did not answer that one.

I asked how I had been blessed to receive this phone call seeing that I had already filled out the form. I was told that they are calling most people to confirm information. I really do not believe the "most people" part and they are probably pulling some forms here and there. I wonder if I get the door to door person next. Why not have a double waste of my money.

What a waste of our taxpayer dollars! I sent it in, there is nothing wrong with it, and we are paying someone to call us. You would think that this would be a very simple process with two questions - how many people live here and their ages. It doesn't seem that even names would be needed of everyone for the consitutional purpose of the census.

Which moronic government bureaucrat set this up? Is that redundant?

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain

No comments: