Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Super Bowl Snacks

I really did not have a dog in this fight so I was happy to see a game that was not a blowout or worse. It does however to encourage me to create some snacks that we have not had in a while. Anyone for frog legs? How about pig's tongue? Gator nuggets? It was a good thing I got down to the Chinese supermarket in our area before they ran out of tongue! Most people who have not had frog's legs make a funny face when mentioned. It is easy to identify those who have had them as they usually comment that they are good. They are also easy to make. I like the deep fried ones but don't like to deep fry because of the mess to clean up. This time, we went baked. Grease a baking dish, rinse and pat dry the legs, brush them with a little oil or butter, shake them in cracker crumbs and spices, and bake for about 45 minutes at 350.

Tongue is great for putting on crackers after slicing thinly. It is easy also. Cover them with water, add spices, add onions & garlic, bring to a boil, and simmer for a couple of hours. You take the outer layer off and slice thinly.

Gator nuggets are easy. Cut up some gator, put in milk/egg, shake in flour/spices (don't forget the cayenne pepper) and pan fry in a little oil. Stick a toothpick in them and serve with Thousand Island for dipping.

How's that for some eclectic snacks? I can't say that I plan ahead as I just go the store and see what strikes my fancy. I passed on the pig snout as I was unsure how it was prepared. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm, yeah... my family is from Georgia... everything you mentioned is pretty normal to me (except BAKED frogs legs; are you crazy, they gotta be fried. It's worth the mess).

-Shawn